Guidelines for Prescribing
- Washington State Agency Medical Directors’ Group: Interagency Guideline on Prescribing Opioids for Pain, June 2015 Update
- APS/AAPM Clinical Guidelines for the Use of Chronic Opioid Therapy in Chronic Noncancer Pain Reprinted from the Journal of Pain, Vol 10, Issue 2, Chou R et al., Clinical Guidelines for the Use of Chronic Opioid Therapy in Chronic Noncancer Pain, Pages 113-130. Copyright 2009, with permission from Elsevier.
- Canadian Guideline for Safe and Effective Use of Opioids for Chronic Non-Cancer Pain. The Canadian Guideline is presented in two separate documents: Part A (Executive Summary and Background) and Part B (Recommendations for Practice).
- Oregon Pain Guidance The Oregon Pain Guidance group (OPG) offers HCPs and community partners opioid guidelines and other information, including best practices for managing complex, chronic pain, to bring them into standardized, general use in Southern Oregon.
- Utah Clinical Guidelines on Prescribing Opioids for Treatment of Pain. Utah Department of Health 2009.
- Cautious, Evidence-Based Opioid Prescribing. Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing (PROP). 2011. or visit: www.responsibleopioidprescribing.org
- Information on Opioid Medications U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Tools for Opioid Dosing and Risk Mitigation
Shared Decision Making and Communication
Resources for Patients
Opioid Storage and Disposal
Chronic Pain and Health Services
Books on Managing Chronic Pain
- Cowan, Penney. From Patient to Person: First Steps. The American Chronic Pain Association. 2004.
- Caudill, Margaret. Managing Pain Before It Manages You (Revised Edition). 3rd ed. Guilford Press, 2009.
- Cowan, Penney. Staying Well: Advanced Pain management for ACPA Members. The American Chronic Pain Association. 2007.
- Otis, JD. Managing Chronic Pain. A Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Approach. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Turk DC, Winter, F. The Pain Survival Guide: How to Reclaim Your Life. Washington, DC: APA Press, 2006.
- Efficacy of opioids for chronic pain: A review of the evidence. Ballantyne JC, Shin NS. Clin Jour Pain. 2008 July/Aug; (24)6: 469-478. doi: 10.1097/AJP.0b013e31816b2f26.
- Clinical guidelines for the use of chronic opioid therapy in chronic noncancer pain. Chou R, Fanciullo GJ, Fine PG, et al. American Pain Society- American Academy of Pain Medicine Opioids Guidelines Panel. J Pain. 2009;10:113-130. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2008.10.008.
- Reported lifetime aberrant drug-taking behaviors are predictive of current substance use and mental health problems in primary care patients. Fleming MF, Davis J, Passik SD. Pain Med. 2008 Nov;9(8):1098-106.doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4637.2008.00491.x. Epub 2008 Aug 18.
- Protect your patients, protect your practice: Practical risk assessment in the structuring of opioid therapy in chronic pain. Fine PG, Finnegan T, Portenoy RK. J Fam Pract. 2010 Sep;59 (9 Suppl 2):S1-16. PMID: 20824240
Risks for possible and probable opioid misuse among recipients of chronic opioid therapy in commercial and medicaid insurance plans: The TROUP Study. Sullivan MD, Edlund MJ, Fan MY, Devries A, Brennan Braden J, Martin BC. PAIN. Aug. 2010;150(2):332-9. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2010.05.020.
- What are we treating with long-term opioid therapy? Sullivan MD, Ballantyne J. Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172(5): 433-434.doi: 10.1001/archinternmed.2011.2156.
- Treatment of chronic non-cancer pain. Turk DC, Wilson HD, Cahana A. The Lancet. 2011 (Jun25); 377:2226-2235. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60402-9.
- Assessment of Chronic Pain in Epidemiological and Health Research: Empirical Bases and New Directions. Von Korff M. In: Turk D.C., Melzack, R. eds. Handbook of Pain Assessment. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Guilford Press; 2011: 455-473.